Office: AZ E206F
Phone: (970) 491-4963
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=xxf7aHAAAAAJ&hl=en
Research- Regulation of gene expression changes associated with arbovirus susceptibility in mosquitoes
Arboviruses require an intermediate vector, eg, mosquitoes (arthropods), in order to be transmitted to vertebrates and humans. Aedes aegypti is a major vector of flavivirus pathogens, e.g., dengue, Zika, chikungunya viruses and is also competent for transmission of Rift Valley Fever virus. Culex tarsalis transmits West Nile virus and other arboviruses in the US. Mosquitoes show wide variability in differential gene expression patterns in response to arboviruses.
Cis-regulatory elements (CREs) are genomic regions adjacent to gene transcription start sites that mark transcriptional regulatory binding locations. Virtually nothing is known of CREs associated with arbovirus infection or whether chromatin modifications modulate mosquito host responses to infection. Culex and Aedes species transmit important exotic zoonotic arboviruses, e.g. Rift Valley fever virus, of potential concern to U.S. animal and public health. The objective of our current project is to identify CREs in mosquito genomes that contribute to vector competence.
I use my maiden name, CL Campbell, in publications.
- Safety study of Rift Valley Fever human vaccine candidate (DDVax) in mosquitoes. Transboundary and Emerging Diseases.
- Differential Innate Immune Responses Elicited by Nipah Virus and Cedar Virus Correlate with Disparate In Vivo Pathogenesis in Hamsters. Viruses, 3, 2019.
- Involvement of pro-inflammatory macrophages in liver pathology of Pirital virus-infected of Syrian hamsters Hemorrhagic disease animal models in BSL3 Viruses, 2018.
- Alternative patterns of sex chromosome differentiation in Aedes aegypti (L) BMC Genomics, 1, 2017.
- Exon-Enriched Libraries Reveal Large Genic Differences Between Aedes aegypti from Senegal, West Africa, and Populations Outside Africa G3 (Bethesda), 2, 2017.
- Transcriptomic Signatures of Tacaribe Virus-Infected Jamaican Fruit Bats MSPHERE, 5, 2017.
- Rapid evolution of mosquito anti-viral ncRNA pathway componentsNon-coding RNAs and Inter-kingdom Communication Springer International Publishing, 2016.
- Experimental Evolution of an RNA Virus in Wild Birds: Evidence for Host-Dependent Impacts on Population Structure and Competitive Fitness PLOS PATHOGENS, 5, 2015.
- Transcriptome Markers of Viral Persistence in Naturally-Infected Andes Virus (Bunyaviridae) Seropositive Long-Tailed Pygmy Rice Rats PLOS ONE, 4, 2015.
- A positively selected mutation in the WNV 2K peptide confers resistance to superinfection exclusion in vivo VIROLOGY, 2014.
- MicroRNA levels are modulated in Aedes aegypti after exposure to Dengue-2 Insect Mol Biol, 1, 2014.
- Complex modulation of the Aedes aegypti transcriptome in response to dengue virus infection PLoS One, 11, 2012.
- Strain Variation in the Transcriptome of the Dengue Fever Vector, Aedes aegypti G3 (Bethesda), 1, 2012.
- A role for endosomal proteins in alphavirus dissemination in mosquitoes Insect Mol Biol, 4, 2011.
- RNA-seq analyses of blood-induced changes in gene expression in the mosquito vector species, Aedes aegypti BMC Genomics, 2011.
- Small RNA profiling of Dengue virus-mosquito interactions implicates the PIWI RNA pathway in anti-viral defense BMC Microbiol, 2011.
- Comparison of dengue virus type 2-specific small RNAs from RNA interference-competent and -incompetent mosquito cells PLoS Negl Trop Dis, 10, 2010.
- Pathogenomics of Culex quinquefasciatus and meta-analysis of infection responses to diverse pathogens Science, 6000, 2010.
- Sequencing of Culex quinquefasciatus establishes a platform for mosquito comparative genomics Science, 6000, 2010.
- Aedes aegypti uses RNA interference in defense against Sindbis virus infection BMC Microbiol, 2008.
- Comparative genomics of small RNA regulatory pathway components in vector mosquitoes BMC Genomics, 2008.